On many occasions, developers are confused when it comes to choosing between a website or a web app (web application) for their business clients. Most business/organization owners wants their business/organization on the internet, therefore, visiting a developer to design a website for them.
Many people believe that web application and website are the same; they thought is just a term used interchangeably without knowing there is are fine line differences between them.
This article is written purposely to clear your mind off the confusion of choosing between a website and web app. Let discuss each of them singly before clarifying their differences.
Web applications include online forms, shopping carts, word processors, spreadsheets, video and photo editing, file conversion, file scanning, and email programs such as Gmail, Yahoo and AOL. Popular applications include Google Apps and Loftysms.
A website is a collection of web pages that can be accessible through local network or internet. All websites collectively makes the world wide web (WWW). HTML and XHTML languages are required to write the web page document. A web page is what you see on the screen when you type in a web address, click on a link, or put a query in a search engine.
Some websites are free and some requires subscription charges because they are created for business purposes. Femtosh, Loftysms, Facebook, YouTube, news site, Wikipedia are examples of free websites and gaming, magazine subscription and stock market sites are examples of paid websites.
- Web application is the part of website. It is itself not a complete website. While website is a complete product, which you see on your browser.
- Web application functions and tasks are much higher and complex than website. Website just shows the collected data and information in an order on a page and it actually maintains the whole website.
- Website is a source of information while web application works interactively.
- Website works on a web browser while web application runs and used separately on computer.
- Developing a website is more easy and low cost project in compare to developing website application. Different platforms are required to develop website application.
- Website is easily ascertainable through any operating system and device. Just insert the URL and get the desired result. While in website application first you have to download and install it to make it useful.
In Conclusion, the differences enumerated above can be stated in a single sentence “Websites are meant for providing information and Web Applications are meant to solve a problem or satisfy a desire.”
Understanding this difference is of paramount importance when you sit down to design a website or a web application.
- Posted by Primate
- On January 8, 2018
- 0 Comments